Removing grout from pits on porcelain tile

On Tuesday afternoon/evening I grouted the new 20X20 porcelain tile that was laid on my mother's basement floor almost a week earlier. I have "most" of the tile clean using sponges/water and then terrycloth towels. I am having trouble getting the grout out of the several little pits in the porcelain tile. I have tried vinegar with no results. I tried vinegar and a nylon bristle brush with no results.

The only thing that has worked so far has been a steel brush. I have not seen any damage on the porcelain using the steel brush but I am worried I will scratch the porcelain. I have read about using wood dowels to remove grout from pits on porcelain which makes a steel brush seem extremely harsh to use on the porcelain.

Can I continue to use the steel brush or should I try Sulfamic acid?

I purchased some Sulfamic acid at Home Depot and the directions said let the cement cure for 10 days. I left the Sulfamic acid container at my mother's house and I don't remember if the word was "cement" or "grout." I worried about using the Sulfamic acid and its affect on the grout lines I want to keep while I was removing the grout from the porcelain pits.

How long should I wait to apply the Sulfamic acid?

How much should I dilute the acid at first and can I use a stronger mixture if my initial efforts still do not work? How much stronger?

What type of brush/sponge/pad/etc should I use with Sulfamic acid?

I have previously read when using any acid, have ventilation and eye protection, and rubber gloves if you have sensitive skin.

Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated. Terry

Reply to
seversont

Now I would have tried vinegar because to me it wouldn't seem harmful. However, after my failed attempt, I would call a tiling store. They might have a simple solution, you haven't thought of.

tom @

Just Joshin

Coulld you call her and have her read you the label?

Reply to
mm

I went to Home Depot and looked at another container of Sulfamic acid (the acid was in powder form). The front of the container stated the product was for removing grout haze and grout residue. The directions said "let the cement or grout cure for 10 days."

I expect I need to be careful to keep the Sulfamic acid out of the grout lines.

Reply to
seversont

A bullet point on the (front) label states: *Safe to use on tile, grout and concrete*.

I just used some on the pool tiles and grout.

Google "TileLab + Sulfamic Acid", WITH quotation.

Read the data sheet..

The link looks like this and is long, so it may tunicate.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren