removing glued carpet over vynal tile

i have a house in which someone placed carpet over the original (cheap) tile (circa 1970) the carpet is glued on the vinyl. I wish to remove the carpet and overlay the original tile with a new medium grade viynl tile.

Is there anything I can soak the carpet with to make the removal easier? I have some concern of the possibilitty of asbesius in the original tile.

If some bits of old tile are pulled up can I just fit in cheap tile to fill the holes then put new tile over it without ripping out all the old tile. Sq. ft. is about 220.

thanks stan

Reply to
louis

You are best off to rip everything out then put unerlayment if the floor needs it. The old vynal probably isnt good enough, after 30 yrs it will have cracks and loose areas..

Reply to
m Ransley