Removing glued carpet

We want to pull up a carpet that has been glued down to a hardwood floor. What is the best way to get it up?

Reply to
Dymphna

What have you tried, how did it respond? Is it glued all over or just around the edges? Are you going to put down new carpet or refinsh the wood?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I've read that freezing with dry ice will harden the adhesive allowing it to be chipped off.

Reply to
Frank

I've done glued down linoleum with a Harbor Freight multitool (#67256). It isn't all that fast, but it does get after the adhesive layer well enough to make the job possible. Ought to work on your project.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Mechanical removal. Scrapers, putty knife, shovel, etc. Acetone might work, but a large area is not too practical. Knee pads should help, at least a little. Yeah, it can be a long tedious job.

Reply to
Phisherman

On my boat, not exactly the same and smaller, I just got a hold of one end and ripped it up. Then scrapped where it did not come up clean. You do not need a real good surface if you are recarpeting as you can cover it with a pad.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It looks to be glued down to the hardwood floor all over. We plan to put down a sub floor and some kind of tile. Although the blood of the person who put it down does sound promising - but not at church LOL

Reply to
Dymphna

If f this is for a church project may I suggest a pancake breakfast and lots of knees and elbows.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

who put it down does sound promising - but not at church LOL

Dymphna

breakfast

We are a mission church - not that many to help LOL

Reply to
Dymphna