Removing glued carpet

We want to pull up a carpet that has been glued down to a hardwood floor. What is the best way to get it up?
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

What have you tried, how did it respond? Is it glued all over or just around the edges? Are you going to put down new carpet or refinsh the wood?
Jimmie
Dymphna wrote:

it to be chipped off.

I've done glued down linoleum with a Harbor Freight multitool (#67256). It isn't all that fast, but it does get after the adhesive layer well enough to make the job possible. Ought to work on your project.
Joe
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:26:12 -0500, Dymphna

Mechanical removal. Scrapers, putty knife, shovel, etc. Acetone might work, but a large area is not too practical. Knee pads should help, at least a little. Yeah, it can be a long tedious job.

On my boat, not exactly the same and smaller, I just got a hold of one end and ripped it up. Then scrapped where it did not come up clean. You do not need a real good surface if you are recarpeting as you can cover it with a pad.
It looks to be glued down to the hardwood floor all over. We plan to put down a sub floor and some kind of tile. Although the blood of the person who put it down does sound promising - but not at church LOL
--
Dymphna
Message origin:

If f this is for a church project may I suggest a pancake breakfast and lots of knees and elbows.
Jimmie
JIMMIE;3024753 Wrote: > On Sep 25, 1:46 pm, Dymphna <Dymphna.3z3...> > wrote: > > It looks to be glued down to the hardwood floor all over. We plan to > put > > down a sub floor and some kind of tile. Although the blood of the > person > > who put it down does sound promising - but not at church LOL > > > > -- > > Dymphna > > > > If f this is for a church project may I suggest a pancake breakfast > and lots of knees and elbows. > > Jimmie We are a mission church - not that many to help LOL