Removing duct tape goo

Go to Walmart, hardware store, or dollar-store, and get "Goo-Gone". Works like a dream, and smells good too.

Reply to
Dan C

Trying to remove duct tape residue from the Formica trim and metal around the sink. It doesn't come off easy. Is there a solvent that removes this stuff easily? Also, would like to be able to live in the house afterwards. So, I don't want anything too strong smelling, if at all possible. Been trying to scrape it off. It's a frustrating process.

I am planning to repair the sink once I get this gunk off. There are a few drip points where the metal meets the counter. I am going to use some sort of sealant between the seams to eliminate the dripping problem beneath. There is quite a gap between the metal and sink. The sink is sagging in the middle somewhat.... it's old. Ideally, it should be replaced. But, I would imagine a new counter and sink get-up must run a grand or better. Am I on target with the price. I haven't priced them out at HD.

Also, will be cutting a narrow piece of Formica to replace the piece I damaged scrapping some of this stuff off. Someone told me to use a utility knife to cut the Formica. Any tricks to cutting it? I was thinking of marking it with a pen or pencil. Lying it down on a wooden board. Then, scoring it before I applied heavy pressure to cut. This thin strip of Formica will eventually lie on the edge of the sink's metal surface. Any special glue I should use? I have "Wilsonart International H20" It says not to use it with copper. Normally, I guess this product is primarily used with non-metal surfaces. I'm thinking with such a small section it should be fine.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Thanks! Did a little more investigating and found the leak is originating from the base of the faucett extension. I unscrewed the top cap. There is rubber gasket which looks in good shape. I don't know what I else I can do except re-tighten. I don't want to over-tighten. It seemed pretty tight when I took it off. Any ideas what else I might do to seal this a little better?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Tightened up the cap. Leaks seems to have disappeared. Hope it's gone for good.

Went to Wall Mart and the local super market. Couldn't find Goo Gone. There is a substance called Oops. May try this if I can't find Goo Gone.

Reply to
Charlie S.

"Charlie S." wrote

Is there a solvent that removes this

Another good product is "De-solv-it" or a very similar spelling. Found on the shelves of LA area supermarkets.

Reply to
CWLee

First try some WD-40 if you have it around the house, before you go out and buy something.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Goof-Off is another one..

You could also try lighter fluid (naptha).

make sure you ventilate well when using any solvent indoors.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Thanks, I used the WD-40. It worked well. Realized WD-40 can is almost empty. Don't use it much. So, I'll put it off until another day.

The sink is still leaking. Can't seem to win with this old faucet. Bought a low priced Moen today. May have trouble getting the base off the old one. I'm not sure? I haven't tried yet. It seems to be bonded to the main part of the sink somehow. If I have too much trouble, I'll post here for help. Or, ask my plumber neighbor for help.

Reply to
Charlie S.

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:26:10 -0700 "CWLee" posted:

That one is great, but sometimes hard to find in Md. It's an orange cleaner (made from organges, not for cleaning them) and I think most work almost as well. That's what I use for adhesives. That's its biggest strength

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman