Removing dog urine smell from carpet.

Any suggestions for removing the smell of dog urine from carpet? Up to and including professional services? I've tried the Miracle Pet and Enviro Pet enzyme based stuff, but the smell keeps coming back.

The unfortunate thing about the enzyme stuff is that it appears to have stripped all the Stainmaster Treatment off the fibers the first time around, so the second time the pee just soaked right down.

The carpet was installed less than 4 months ago. There are two rooms that are unbearable to sit in, one has a concrete subfloor, the other is MDF.

My guess is that steam cleaning would just make it worse.

Am i simply S.O.L?

Thanks.

Reply to
phaeton

Sorry to hear this.

My neighbor has a puppy, and swears by "Kids and Pets" that can be purchased at Walmart. It is around $6, but it does have the enzyme based stuff in it.

It is purchased in the cleaning supply area, not in the pet department.

Good luck.

Cor> Any suggestions for removing the smell of dog urine from carpet? Up to

Reply to
Corinne

send carpet out to be cleaned, replace the pad and possibly seal the floor with outdoor polyurethane

there are companies that send the carpet thru a bath...

sorry its the only way...

Reply to
hallerb

Sure - I'm not sure how this works theoretically, but it worked for me in practice: First saturate the carpet with plenty of baking soda (work it into the carpet pretty well), let sit for a few days. Vaccuum thoroughly. Second, make a vinegar solution (maybe 10% vinegar?) in a wet carpet cleaner/steamer, go over the spot several times with that, then vaccuum as much as possible to dry. (Baking soda alone didn't fix the problem, but I didn't try any enzyme treatments or specific pet cleaners) No more pet urine smell from my carpet, Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

dear SOL, here's how we did it:

  1. remove dog and cats and kids and other creatures, fumes ahead:
  2. remove all carpet and padding from the room and discard it.
  3. sadly, mdf and concrete are both similar to a sponge.
  4. old Citra-solv full strength we used in mop water in the 1980's to kill off the cat odors. now since the 1990's we are most thrilled with KIL-ODER cherry almond get a couple of gallons available from
  5. deodorize following directions until you are satisfied. allow to dry completely.
  6. at this point you will need to determine if there is a dog or other creatures in your home's future.
  7. if you have pets the next flooring will probably be armstrong commercial grade floor tile. any carpets will either be washing machine washable rubberback or heavy duty black rubberback garden hose washable polyester mats.
  8. if no pets then you will need to tile over sealed or replaced porous wood.
  9. info: for the wood, look at Bin primer or Killz primer it even sticks to glass, be careful of the primer fumes.
  10. you could follow these directions or else give up now and call a fire cleanup company who will do all the deodorizing and cleaning work and a contractor for the floor tile.
  11. we have cat doors for our cats and small dogs.
  12. i predict no wall-to-wall carpet is in your pet-lover's future for this year.
Reply to
buffalobill

Don't waste time trying to clean it. Remove the carpet and the pad , seal the floor wood or concrete, Replace every thing. That always works, Keep the dog outside.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave