Removing Diesel Fuel odor from Couch

A few days ago, I used some diesel fuel to flush the crud out of a gearbox on a piece of machinery. Some of it got on my pants after the funnel tipped to the side. When I came in the house to warm up, I flipped on the tv, and sat on the couch. Ever since then, I smell diesel fuel all the time in the living room.
At first I thought it was just the stuff on on my pants that smelled, so I tossed the pants outside until I do laundry. But I soon found out that some must have gotten on the couch.
I cant see it on the couch, but I sure can smell it.
Will the odor just go away after time, or will it be there forever? If it wont go away on it's own, is there a way to clean it off. Actually cleaning it off seems kind of vague, because since I cant see it, I am not sure where it is...... But I suppose cleaning the whole part of the couch where I sat is in order. But what do I use?
Thanks Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Tried one of the febreze type products ?
--
Snag

On 12/06/2014 02:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

It will eventually go away but can take up to six months.

I guess I dotn pay much attention to the tv commercials. I have heard of Febreze, but I thought those were the things you use in a clothes dryer to fluff the clothing.
Pls tell me more about this stuff.
If all that Febreze does is drown odors with a perfumey odor, I'd probably rather smell the diesel fuel. I dont like most perfume odors or air freshener sprays. Women seem to like that stuff, but not me.
------
By the way, will washing my pants (blue jeans) remove the odor from them? I have left them outdoors to hopefully lose most of the odor before I wash them. Do i need a special detergent to wash them? I've never had this problem before. I have gotten gasoline on my clothing, but that seems to evaporate after a couple days. Diesel dont seem to do that!
Thanks
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:46:27 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

They rent carpet steam cleaners at the supermarket and I sort of thought they rented upholstery cleaining machines too.
I dog sat once and he peed on my carpet. The owner was very embarrassed, but I think he worked for a carpet cleaning company and he got me a bottle something for pee, and by golly it worked. I didnt' use that much either. Maybe they have something for fuel oil. It used to be that you had to beg to buy things corporations used, but with the web, most places sell to anyone.
Although before the web, I once bought a bunch of burglar alarm stuff from a place that really did turn away people not in the business, by calling them up and telling them exactly what I wanted, and asking if it would be ready in two hours. He said yes and once I got there, he'd fetched the stuff pff tje shelves to the counter and didn't care who I was, as long as I didn't ask many or dumb or any questions.

Some carpet cleaners have attachments for upholstery. I would use mean green cleaner.
Greg

OP thanks you.

middle of washing them.
Although as I understand it, real men smell of diesel oil.