removing Delta shower valve without damaging shower body

I have a Delta single lever shower faucet that is about 15 years old. Last time I changed a leaky valve and while removing the retainer ring, I twisted the shower body a little. Fortunately it did not break, but now I need to remove it again, and this time it does not want to budge. I really do not want to replace the whole shower body. Any tips on how I can take the retainer ring off?

Reply to
Mikepier

What kind of retaining ring does it have? Do you have the proper tool? Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Here's a pic. Ironicallly this link talks about how to be careful not to damage the shower body.

Mikepier

Can you use something like a pipe wrench with rubber pads to hold the shower body?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Its not the shower body that breaks, its the guts inside the shower body, and that cannot be held with a wrench

Reply to
Mikepier