removing Delta shower valve without damaging shower body

I have a Delta single lever shower faucet that is about 15 years old. Last time I changed a leaky valve and while removing the retainer ring, I twisted the shower body a little. Fortunately it did not break, but now I need to remove it again, and this time it does not want to budge. I really do not want to replace the whole shower body. Any tips on how I can take the retainer ring off?
On 4/11/2011 11:39 AM, Mikepier wrote:

What kind of retaining ring does it have? Do you have the proper tool? Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Here's a pic. Ironicallly this link talks about how to be careful not to damage the shower body.
http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/delt_large_image/image7.htm
On 4/12/2011 6:45 AM, Mikepier wrote:

Can you use something like a pipe wrench with rubber pads to hold the shower body?

Its not the shower body that breaks, its the guts inside the shower body, and that cannot be held with a wrench