Removing countertop laminate glue

I'm replacing the facades on my kitchen countertops. Half became delaminated and fell off on their own and I've pulled the rest off myself. But before I can install the new oak facades I've created, I have to remove the glue that held the laminates on. It sticks out enough that removing it really isn't optional.
But how to get it off? I've tried hand sanding, but made very little progress after a lot of effort. Scraping got nowhere; the scraper just glides over the top of the glue. Dissolving hasn't worked either (tried "Goo Gone" and toluene, both recommended by my local hardware store.)
I fear using a power sander due to the proximity of these to the dishwasher, stove, fridge, etc. Can anyone suggest something else?
Thanks, -Kurt
Flip em...

sand front edge by hand again w/60 grit paper (100 grit 220 grit)(to remove as much glue as possible) Make a thin kerf (the thickness of the laminate) in the top edge of the oak nosing. install front oak nosing (glue as necessary) this way the laminate overlaps the oak edge (instead of a continuous joint)
CA