Removing concrete slab

Page 2 of 2
I would doubt that its 16" thick. Thats almost enought to land a plane on. I would think the footers are 16" and the slap itself is only 4" or 5"
Most if not all builders would not spend the extra money on the extra concrete for no good reason.
If you are really pissed at the builders, get a 20 pound sledge hammer and see if you can start to break up the edges. Its a good workout.