Removing cement board

I need to remove some 1/2" cement board - no tile yet - to do some work inside the wall. The cement board is nailed on.

I'd like to save the cement board, saves buying and cutting. My first thought is to punch around the nail heads with a screwdriver, lift off the cement board then pull the nails.

Is there a better and/or easier way? Better tool?

Reply to
dadiOH

Centerpunch each nailhead then drill. The nail head will come off, remove the board, drive the headless nails in, and you're good to go.

RicodJour

My thought exactly.

Reply to
Bob F

Centerpunch each nailhead then drill. The nail head will come off, remove the board, drive the headless nails in, and you're good to go.

Unless it is a small section I am not sure it is worth the effort but if I chose to do it I think I would use a 1/4" punch and just drive them all the way through.

Then nail back with a few inch offset.

Drill bits are expensive and nails are tough.

An angle grinder with you wearing a respirator might work.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

DadiOH didn't say what type of nails they were, but I assumed roofing nails. They're not tough nails, and the heads are thin. You wouldn't be using Harbor Freight drill bits, would you?

RicodJour

I'll try both punching the nail head and drilling. Fastest gets the nod, thanks folks.

Reply to
dadiOH

re: "I'll try ... punching the nail head ..."

Wear a glove!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No chance of that.

Reply to
Colbyt

Alternatively, I'll let my wife hold the punch :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I Dremeled the heads off the trim nails to temporarily remove the aluminum wrap when I replaced my windows.

A dab of caulk and some white paint and the holes can't be seen unless you're really looking for them - up close.

Reply to
DerbyDad03