removing caulking

I'm installing a new tub surround and need to remove several layers/yrs of old caulk on the lip of the fiberglass tub. I scraped the loose stuff but want to be gentle and not beat up the finish. Anybody got a recommend for softening the old caulking? I've seen some products but would like some input.
Thanks
Andrew
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:07:02 -0500, "AndrewV"

Not a caulking expert....
I would use a plastic scraper, and a caulk softener.
Both I've seen a lowes.
tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com
you can't be THE "tom the great" that everyone is talking about in another thread are you?
a blow-dryer on hot will soften the caulking
wrote: | | >I'm installing a new tub surround and need to remove several layers/yrs of | >old caulk on the lip of the fiberglass tub. I scraped the loose stuff but | >want to be gentle and not beat up the finish. Anybody got a recommend for | >softening the old caulking? I've seen some products but would like some | >input. | > | >Thanks | > | >Andrew | > | | Not a caulking expert.... | | | I would use a plastic scraper, and a caulk softener. | | Both I've seen a lowes. | | tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com |
I think your biggest problem will be finding something that will remove the caulk, without ruining the fiberglass. If you had a cast iron tub, this wouldn't be a problem. A heat gun on the low setting might work, but try cutting out as much as you can first.
If you are very careful, you can use a BRAND NEW razor blade to scrape off most of the remaining caulk/ Silicone. Do not rush this, just use smooth forward motions ONLY while holding the balde at around a 35 degree angle. If the old caulk is non-acrylic, laying a wet rag on it for several days will make the material swell and allow you to peel off most of it. If it is acrylic caulk, 90 percent isopropyl alcohol should make it lift off the tub and tile. Goof-off also works to soften and loosen silicone caulk, but it can be messy.
Jeff Salmeto The Shower Door Store Quality Shower Enclosures For your home www.theshowerdoorstore.com