removing caulk

has anyone got a good way of removing old caulk around bathtub??
Caulk removers are made (in a tube, softens the caulk) and can be found next to the caulk in any Home Despot type store..

Optional: a handle to make the blades safer, a cushion for your rear while you sit in the tub, a radio to make the time go by quicker.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

that sounds about right. but don't forget the rags and mineral spirits. should take about 2 hours.
stevef wrote:

My suggestion is get a new one. Is it Fiberglass or steel? If it's fiberglass the caulk will discolor it and you will never get it right. If it's steel you may get the stain out but its not worth the effort. I always suggest to clients if you're going to replace the surround or do any remolding to your bathroom the tub should be replaced. The cost of a new tub is not that prohibited as long as you can get to the drain without to much trouble.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

You sound like a guy who buys a new car if he gets a flat or needs an oil change;-)
Doc
Doc wrote:

Nope I use a 1988 F-350 fladbed as my work truck and love it!!! I just don't do anything half ass and the one thing that's most important is customer satisfaction. Old caulk that's discolored a tub is not what I call the right choice. And not going to spend 8 hours trying to get the crap off so I can tell the customer I just ruined his tub.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

8 Hours? I couldn't afford you!
"EvoDawg" went on and on and on and on and on

caulking ruin a tub? what thaaaaa....................
8 hrs to scrape it off who thaaaaa....................
wow.....do you really believe what you are saying? or is your head still up your ass?
Happy Homeowner wrote:

How many tubs has Happy Homeowner replaced or installed? Old caulk is not the same as what is available today. Caulk today is easy to remove but the stuff 20 years ago is of a tougher compound, it's more like epoxy. And yes it stains the finish. Have you ever installed a sink in granite counter top? Read the instructions and you will learn that you just don't use any caulk because smartass it will stain the granite.
So kiss my ass. What contractors license do you hold? Happy Weekend Warrior Homeowner is more like it. You may be a homeowner thats just moved from an apartment but how many have you built? Homes that is? I've installed more tubs than you have taken showers.
Rich California General Engineering A & B License since 1976
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"