removing caulk

has anyone got a good way of removing old caulk around bathtub??

Reply to
stevef

Caulk removers are made (in a tube, softens the caulk) and can be found next to the caulk in any Home Despot type store..

Reply to
Betsy

A package of good single-edged razor blades. Some time. Some energy. Optional: a handle to make the blades safer, a cushion for your rear while you sit in the tub, a radio to make the time go by quicker.

Reply to
John McGaw

My suggestion is get a new one. Is it Fiberglass or steel? If it's fiberglass the caulk will discolor it and you will never get it right. If it's steel you may get the stain out but its not worth the effort. I always suggest to clients if you're going to replace the surround or do any remolding to your bathroom the tub should be replaced. The cost of a new tub is not that prohibited as long as you can get to the drain without to much trouble.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Since most tub sealnts are silicone based, the previous post regarding razor blades is spot on. Reacaulking may not require removal down to the last crumb, since silicones adhere to older cured material extremely well, provided, of course that it is clean, meaning keep the old soap scum away from it. HYH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You sound like a guy who buys a new car if he gets a flat or needs an oil change;-)

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Nope I use a 1988 F-350 fladbed as my work truck and love it!!! I just don't do anything half ass and the one thing that's most important is customer satisfaction. Old caulk that's discolored a tub is not what I call the right choice. And not going to spend 8 hours trying to get the crap off so I can tell the customer I just ruined his tub.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

8 Hours? I couldn't afford you!
Reply to
Wayne

that sounds about right. but don't forget the rags and mineral spirits. should take about 2 hours.

Reply to
Happy Homeowner

"EvoDawg" went on and on and on and on and on

caulking ruin a tub? what thaaaaa....................

8 hrs to scrape it off who thaaaaa....................

wow.....do you really believe what you are saying? or is your head still up your ass?

Reply to
Happy Homeowner

How many tubs has Happy Homeowner replaced or installed? Old caulk is not the same as what is available today. Caulk today is easy to remove but the stuff 20 years ago is of a tougher compound, it's more like epoxy. And yes it stains the finish. Have you ever installed a sink in granite counter top? Read the instructions and you will learn that you just don't use any caulk because smartass it will stain the granite.

So kiss my ass. What contractors license do you hold? Happy Weekend Warrior Homeowner is more like it. You may be a homeowner thats just moved from an apartment but how many have you built? Homes that is? I've installed more tubs than you have taken showers.

Rich California General Engineering A & B License since 1976

Reply to
EvoDawg