Removing casement window

Hello,

I need to install a large window on the second story of my house. Since I only have use of one other person I would like to remove the glass panes before we hoist the window. I know that I can take out all the panes but by question is about the hardware for opening the two outside panes (the middle pane is stationary).

I have experimented on some old casements that we removed last week and I know that I can take out all the screws, a total of eleven for each window, and pull the window out. I have also noticed a little clip that secures one of the arms of the movement to the window hardware. If I slide that clip back I can disconnect that arm and pull the other arm out through the slot on the window hardware then I can leave the crank (and its pieces) on the sill.

Are there any other tips or tricks I should know about? Do I need to remove the other 6 screws on the window to separate it from the frame or is there a way that the window will slide out without their removal.

The windows are Marvin Casemaster. Thanks for your help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Shutter

You could get some ideas from the Marvin customer service people, so I'd start there. If your concern is about the weight and handling of the window, consider renting some scaffolding to do a safe installation. Don't be bashful about asking for extra help from friends and/or relatives and pay them back with a party when its done. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Brian,

If you ask your significant other, she'd probably say, "Honey, I love you. Please just pay someone to this window installation safely."

Reply to
GIJane

LOL!

Omit the "Honey, I love you," and with a little paraphrasing, that's what she said!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Shutter