Removing Carrier outside panels

Page 1 of 4
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to moisture and whatever else....
Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you: http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/398461006gSRGXc
Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the top. What's the correct procedure here?

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/398461006gSRGXc
You need to call a professional service technician. Don't fuck with it, you might blow yourself up.

By removing the cover from a unit whose circuit breaker is shut off? Are they rigged with explosives?
They used vials of nitroglycerine until 1996, and then changed to plastique. You didn't know that?
Of course, we might be teasing you.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Kanter wrote:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/398461006gSRGXc
Take off the top. It may house the exhaust fan. Careful.
Remove the side panels.
Wash from the inside with a pressure washer. Careful - too much pressure can bend the fins. Use soap if you can.
Don't worry too much about wetting any electrical stuff. Think rain.
If you can blow any residual water out, go for it. Else let the thing dry for a bit before you re-activate it.
Put the thing back together. As best you can. Some screw holes will not line up properly.
Doug, You have already received excellent answered from field experts here. However, if you think they are bullshitting you; Read about the outdoor coil on page 4. http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/om38-29.pdf
Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link. http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/38-1sm.pdf
Jabs

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/398461006gSRGXc
Thanks. No time to read it at the moment, but I appreciate the response. I'd rather have REASONS, instead of just "don't". Given good reasons, I probably won't touch it.

Thanks again for the links. The HVAC guy has been called. $72.50 + coffee + parts, if needed.
See? It pays to give a little information instead of just "don't do it". :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/398461006gSRGXc
Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in the middle are for, but it is unlikely that the fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off around the periphery and then tap up.
You really shouldn't need to take it apart just wash with a stream wherever you can.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

    First of all, spraying it with the hose can just push the stuff deeper into the fins. You need a foaming coil cleaning for that, or (after turning power off to it) take the top off and spray it from the inside.
    But you would be doing your unit a favor by keeping the weeds and grass away from it.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Vicki Szaszvari wrote:

My unit is very clean, the coils are clean, and there is nothing in the coils. I usually shoot water on it once a year, but nothing drastic. Maybe it is just better designed than some, or we just keep trash away from the base--the fan blows straight up.

so I

due to

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=albu m/398461006gSRGXc
the
The four in the middle hold the fan motor in place...yes, they do.... Dear God...thats funny....thanks for the entertainment..LOL

Wrong. He will need a foaming cleaner to do it right, or he will just make it LOOK clean, it wont be, but it sure will look clean.
snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com wrote:

Ok, I already admitted the models shown in the Carrier manual have the fan attached to the top. Not on my model.

Wrong. So it needs cleaner, did I specify what kind of stream? You can't have it both ways. If it is clean, it will look clean and if it looks clean, it will be clean. If it is dirty and you say it looks clean, maybe you need your "look" fixed.

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the crap in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough (from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even though it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I dunno...
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:11:23 GMT "Doug Kanter"

Most things will dry off if you wait 2 or 3 days, but it wouldn't hurt to wrap the motor in a big plastic trash bag. Don't forget to unwrap it before putting the cover on.
I don't know whether it needs cleaning or not, without seeing it. I don't think mine is dirty at all after 26 years (??) but some of the fins are bent together at the bottom. Trying to straighten them out, even with a fin comb, turned out to be very slow-go, so I stopped. Of course I only run the AC 10 or 20 days a year.
You're posting to two groups. If Stormin thinks hvac isn't friendly, I guess you should concentrate on the other one.

so
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=albu m/398461006gSRGXc
the
off
but
crap
though
WHY? Does he need to wrap it in the rain too?

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:44:31 -0400
posted:

Why wouldn't it hurt? Why would it?

Like he said, he's going to be spraying the water from the side. Where I come from, it rains from the top.
My AC also has a solid 8 to 10 inch disk which I think is meant to shield the motor from rain. It's just bigger than the motor.

enough
Waste of time.

Funny thing guy...we do this 4 to 10 times a day, and thats got to be the silliest idea I have seen on a sealed motor.

Its called a rain sheild...its also called a waste of material.