Removing Carpet Tack Strips From Concrete Floor

You got it right the first time. Use some leftover thinset, leveling compound, Durabond, mortar mix...errr...you get the idea, to fill in the holes if they're big enough to be objectionable.

RicodJour

I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and the nails?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

I use a flat pry bar and am usually able to get the strip and the nails holding it down all at once. Fill in using pretty much anything (thinset, morter, etc...). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Cloves and safety glasses. A flat bar works the best

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thanks.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

ps. watch the tacks, no matter how careful I am, I learn just how sharp they are the hard way!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:21:34 -0500, jim evans scribbled this interesting note:

The others have it right, but I'll expound on it a bit more.

When doing this, put the bar right at the nail in the tack strip. Give it a good, authoritative whack or two with the hammer. This will pop the bar under the strip and break the nail loose all at the same time. Some concrete may break out as well. Don't worry about that as you will fill it as the others have suggested.

If you are going to replace the tack strip and the concrete is old and brittle, you may want to drill holes and install anchors with which to screw down the new strip. Sometimes it is difficult to get concrete nails to hold in old concrete as concrete never stops curing. It gets harder and more brittle with age.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Thank for the tip. And, I assume if I replace he tack strip there's no point in filling the holes left by the nails?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:11:32 -0500, jim evans scribbled this interesting note:

Yes, there is. You want a smooth surface. That means no bumps and no dips. It is a small matter to mix up a little thin set or sand mix or mortar and fill the divots.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

If you're putting carpeting back down, there is seldom a good reason to not reuse existing well-secured tack strips.

I just had carpeting redone in my basement, and the carpeting folks were thrilled that full tack strips well secured to the concrete were there for reuse because they take a stretch so well.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.