removing carpet from stairs

I just removed carpeting from stairs and now the molding (on the side) doesn't meet the stairs. 1/4" gap where the carpet had been. Should I move the molding up to meet the stairs? My wife says the gap needs to filled with another length of wood - she calls it molding, too - leaving the original molding in place. This doesn't make any sense to me for their to be two pieces. Either way is a job.
Thanks, Chris

what are you replacing the carpet with? the molding is used to cover the edge of carpet (or wood planks). whatever new you're putting down should go under the molding. if nothing, then the molding should be flush with whatever is under it.

Unless you're planning a divorce, better do what the missus wants...

LOL - us both. Thanks.
"Eugen Bleuler" wrote

Snicker Wise man...