Removing can light fixtures

I need to run some speaker wires in the ceiling on the first floor of my two story house. I have can lights that are spaced just right to snake wires, but I've never worked with them before. I need to remove them or at least part of them to get to the space between the ceiling and floor above. Are there any tricks I need to know to do this. I want to reassemble them when I'm done.

Any help will be appreciated. Thx Frank

Reply to
Frankie Leo

There is a variety of commonly used housings and trims. If you remove the lamp and look inside for the make and model,post back and someone will be able to direct you in their removal

Reply to
RBM

Frankie, There are 2 types of can lights. "new construction" and "remodel". If it's new construction, it's mounted to your ceiling joists and removing them would be ver difficult. If it's remodel, it's clipped on the sheetrock after the house was built, and can be easily removed. You can tell the difference by taking out the lightbulb and seeing if there are 3 metal spring clips on the sides of the can.

Go to the big box store and look at the two different types and play with them so you'll know how to identify them

good luck, tim1198

Frankie Leo wrote:

Reply to
tim1198

The "can" part of either type can be easily removed, either by removing screws or clips depending upon manufacturer

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Frankie Leo