Removing Broken Glass in Door

I know that, in theory, glass installed in wooden windows or wooden doors is typically held in place either by putty or wooden strips -- but I have a door leading to a second floor apartment, containing Florex glass in the upper half of it, and I cannot figure out how the glass was installed. The glass has been broken and needs to be replaced, but it's almost as if the glass were somehow built into the door! I know it sounds strange, but this is a 125 year-old frame building and almost everything in it is strange. My only clue is that one side of the frame does have the impression of little headless nails spaced every 4" or so, which would suggest that a strip exists, but there's no area where any joining has been done.
Ideas, anybody?
TIA.
Sam
Sam wrote:

holding the glass. Painted over? Got a picture? Solid door? Panels? Is it possible someone applied plywood over the surface of the door that conceals the glazing? As a last resort, one could bust out the rest of the glass ... then see inside of where it is mounted.
Sam wrote:

125 years old, must be 50 coats of paint on it. Scrape the edges down so you can see something.