Removing battery corrosion

I have a remote for a VCR that was not being used. The batteries leaked and left corosion on the contacts inside. (Alkaline batteries). The contacts are not deteriorated, but are corroded. What is the best way to clean them, and neutralize any chemical reaction to prevent further damage?
Any tips?
Thanks
Mark
Soapy water on a q-tip. Not too much, don't want to leave any water behind. A small amount of baking soda will also help by neutralizing any acid and acting as an abrasive, be sure to remove all of that too.
Sometimes need to scratch up the contact area with a x-acto blade or file if corrosion is thick.
If it were really messy, you can often remove the circuit board and clean all the parts in ISO alcohol then dry thoroughly then reassemble.

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in

Household vinegar. (a mild acid to neutralize the alkaline battery electrolyte)
Since the plating has probably been eaten away,the exposed spring metal will oxidize.Perhaps a light coating of Vaseline will help there.
I find that Duracells leak more than Everready or Fuji cells. I no longer use Duracells.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That happened to me a few years ago. Contacted the Duracell, sent the remote and they sent me a check that covered about 90% of the cost of a new remote.