Removing Bathtub Stopper

Hi, I want to remove my bathtub stopper. It is a pop-up type that seals the drain when pushed down. It seems to spin freely and does not seem to want to come out when pulled hard. How does it come out?

Thanks

Reply to
Kent_Diego

The one I have on a garden tub just screws and unscrews to the drainpipe.

Reply to
Ron

Hold the bigger part tight and unscrew the little knob on top. This should expsoe a screw that will release the popper from the drain pipe. YMMV.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Most of them screw into a receptacle at the bottom of the drain. Frequently, either the screw on the stopper or the receptacle come loose and spin instead of screwing in and out. Use needle-nosed pliers to hold the spinning part in place while you turn the stopper.

A few have a set screw on the side. Use a fine screwdriver or a hex key (as appropriate) to loosen the set screw.

Reply to
SteveB

This is how mine is, yours may be different.... Pull the stopper up and spin it around while looking down under the stopper... down inside the drain. Look for a screw going horizontally into the center shaft. Hard to see unless you crouch down in the tub with your face laying on the bottom of the tub. Once you know where it is you can loosen the screw and remove the stopper without looking. Only loosen the screw enough to let the stopper slide off.

Then use some needle nose pliers to pull up all the hair and coagulated soap scum.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks