removing bathtub drain

my bathtub drain is showing rust around the edge. I would like to replace it but I can't get the old one out.
I think it is screwed in, but I have been unable to turn it.
How are these things removed from a bathtub?
The house is about 30-35 years old and the drains are original I believe.
Thanks.

it. If the strainer has a cross metal on the bottom it will fit into the cross. If it was like mine, there were only a couple little tabs sticking out the side and the tool really did not work on it. If it has been in that long it probably is not going to unscrew easily for either. I just fought with mine and ended up removing it with a dremel cutting bit. I am sure someone else will have a better solution. Then for some reason, the replacement strainer did not want to screw into it. You can get the tool at a borg for about $12. Good luck
Larry
Old_Boat wrote:

Back in the days when I was dirt poor and always looking for ways to save a buck, I took an old water or gas pipe nipple that I had laying around in a junk box and cut notches in the end of it with a hack saw. That worked great for my drain which had a metal cross in it. I kept that as a permanent addition to my tool collection and still have it.

oklaman wrote:

You're asking for trouble, IMHO.
OldBoat's idea for the Dremel tool is a good one. I've used a fine blade in a Sawzall (mini) to cut thru the edge of the drain fitting to weaken it.
The problem is that there is a gasket *under* the tub which seals the "shoe" to the tub. That's gonna leak when you're all done. You could also disturb the joint where the shoe slips into the waste and o'flow tee.
Then, finding a new drain fitting which will properly mate to the old shoe may be a chore.
Jim
I think the point is this will be a lot easier if you have good access to the _underside_.