removing back lawn -- need replacement suggestions

Hi All,
It looks like I am finally going to replace my back lawn with a series of long planters to grow flowers and produce in.
I thought of using pavers to replace the lawn, but that seems expensive. I also thought of just rocking it in, but then the walking on them would eventually wear down to dirt.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Many thanks, -T

It would help if we had a clue of 10' x 10' or 50' x 50' or what, and where, FL or ND or somewhere in between?????
On 04/24/2013 07:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

oops, sorry. Northern Nevada. I'd say about 1/5 acre.
On 4/24/2013 10:47 PM, Todd wrote:

When I lived in Florida, we used river rock (NOT gravel) in a few small shaded areas where nothing would grow. For patio, we put down landscape cloth, then large square (20" ?) pavers....space pavers about 6-8" and fill in between with river rock. It is pervious, so water doesn't collect, easy to clean with leaf blower, and plenty of flat area for grill and chairs. If there are larger areas of rock, can sink pots for plants into the ground or set on top. I put a few pots into the ground so I could plant non-hardy stuff and take the pot inside when the occ. freeze came along. It is good to keep the rock cleaned off so soil doesn't collect and support weed growth.
On 04/25/2013 03:12 AM, Norminn wrote:

Thank you
try a section of planter before you do the entire thing, you may not like it:(
On 4/25/2013 1:46 PM, Todd wrote:

We are in our newly purchased home for our first spring...lots and lots of lawn, a small koi pond, a 20x50 fenced garden plot. We debated buying a riding mower or using the money to change landscape to lessen mowing and put the money into the landscaping. We will have large areas along side fences for shrubs, ornamental trees and flowers. Then a paver and rock patio. Possibly an island in front with hosta and rhododendron. Got a nice little mower and a grandson who needs a job, minimum wage + snacks. Got a garden to plant, but as long as I can watch stuff grow, it doesn't seem like work. By the time we get the landscape changes finished, there should be only as much lawn as two old folks can handle (grandsons going to college next year). But, then, son will have empty-nest syndrome, so he'll be available more :o)
Our grass is amazingly green and healthy, but I'm not going to put more time and money into growing grass than I need to....hoping to get a bocce court for my birthday :o)
Native plants are always a good idea and there are loads of attractive plants that will suit conditions and not require lots of care. Gardening is good for the spirit...healthy, always something changing and something to look forward to.
Got to be someone who lives near you, had the same problem, and has answer. That person probably reads this list, too. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

oops, sorry. Northern Nevada. I'd say about 1/5 acre.

If you decide to put down rock / gravel...
consider putting down a geo-fabric between what ever you put down & the existing earth. Also consider some sort of edging.
Gravel / rock / stone / pebbles can work for a LONG time if "contained". The geo-fabric will the material keep the from disappearing into earth & the edging will keep if from spreading out.
cheers Bob

What he says sounds good

no matter how you prep it eventually roundup will be needed to kill weeds.......

On 04/25/2013 06:17 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

Thank you!

well what does occur is dust dirt leaves and other debris land on and fill between the rocks, and birds drop seeds in their poop.
my dad in phoenix has a gravel yard and its far from maintence free, but never needs watered.