Removing asphalt

Hi, I am converting some driveway into flower beds and a walkway and I want to remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I (safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/ tile blade?
Eric
Scoring asphalt will probably not work. It would be better to cut completely through. How thick is your asphalt? You can certainly try a fiber or dry diamond blade in your circle saw. If your saw is not up to the task, or you are planning quite a bit of cutting, a walk behind pavement saw or hand held gasoline saw would be more appropriate. They can be rented.
--
DanG

diamond blade in concrete cutter, there are types that roll on wheels with blade water cooled to maximize blade life and keep down dust..
On 31 Jan 2007 15:41:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aspect.com wrote:

If it's really asphalt, I'd use an old axe and a sledge. With one person setting the axe, and another whacking it with the sledge, it should go pretty quickly. A circular saw would probably WORK, but it might be unusable for anything else afterwards, and you'd at least have an ugly cleaning job to do, afterwards.

I believe asphalt is 'toxic waste'. I know it can be easily recycled. If this is a significant quantity, I'd look into getting a professional to remove it.