Removing asphalt

Hi, I am converting some driveway into flower beds and a walkway and I want to remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I (safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/ tile blade?

Eric

Reply to
eric.cooper

Scoring asphalt will probably not work. It would be better to cut completely through. How thick is your asphalt? You can certainly try a fiber or dry diamond blade in your circle saw. If your saw is not up to the task, or you are planning quite a bit of cutting, a walk behind pavement saw or hand held gasoline saw would be more appropriate. They can be rented.

Reply to
DanG

diamond blade in concrete cutter, there are types that roll on wheels with blade water cooled to maximize blade life and keep down dust..

Reply to
hallerb

If it's really asphalt, I'd use an old axe and a sledge. With one person setting the axe, and another whacking it with the sledge, it should go pretty quickly. A circular saw would probably WORK, but it might be unusable for anything else afterwards, and you'd at least have an ugly cleaning job to do, afterwards.

Reply to
Goedjn

I believe asphalt is 'toxic waste'. I know it can be easily recycled. If this is a significant quantity, I'd look into getting a professional to remove it.

Reply to
Dan Espen