Removing and replacing ceramic tile.

I have a couple of cracked tiles and some bare floor from where I have been doing some renovating. What is the best way to remove these cracked tile ? I have to remove the tiles and replace with new ones along with covering the bare spots. I won't have a problem replacing I just need advice on removing.
Thanks!
Pelletier wrote:

I've successfully removed floor tiles that had a wider grout joint by cutting (or at least scoring fairly deep) the grout joint around the tiles first with a 4" offset grinder. I did so to take pressure off of the adjoining tiles when I pried out the broken ones. I purchased a special diamond disc that cuts without water. You can then cut a slot in the tile itself and pry it out with a screw driver. I used safety glasses of course. It's dusty but a friend holding a vacuum tube next to your work as you run the grinder gets most of the dust. You may have to scrape the old adhesive off the floor too.
I've used the same basic method for removing wall tiles once to change a shower valve. The difference was that the tiles were butted together tightly so I cut the tiles I wanted to remove just close to the grout joint instead of in the joint. Cut a slot in the tile and used the old screwdriver again. Then I carefully chipped away the remaining bits of the tile next to the joint.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:50:57 -0000, Pelletier

My last house had two cracked tiles. One by the kitchen sink on one in the dining room. I needed to remove only those two tiles.
Using a drill and masonry bit I drilled numerous holes in the center of the tiles and or along the crack, This allowed some relief. Using a hammer I smashed the center to further crack out the tile.
Clean up and prepare to replace them.
-- Oren