Removing Ancient Intercom

Kyle:

KB> Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that needs t

KB> go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the system is dead. KB> KB> After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label KB> that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the label KB> says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a KB> large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere". KB> KB> Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the "hot" wire KB> isn't apparent... KB> KB> Suggestions?

Find the 'mystery' transformer! Is it by the service panel? Does the doorbell also connect? (Maybe dual secondary.) Perhaps use a portable AM radio tuned to between stations. The transformer might give off a staticy buzz.

  • I've changed my mind. Great! Does it work any better?
Reply to
barry martin

I have found these transformers, also for doorbells, located in clrawl space, attic space, on wall in laundry closet, and of course many mounted near the service panel.

Reply to
MC