Removing ancient chrome bathroom fixture

Anyone know what holds these things in place? There is no visible hardware of any kind. Grout behind the edge of the fixture, maybe?
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ancientangler/CupHolder.jpg
And, should I be able to find ceramic replacements so I don't have to hack the surrounding tiles?

the rotating piece should pull or lift out, and no a drop in ceramic substitution is probably not available
might get the existing one re chromed

the rotating piece should pull or lift out, and no a drop in ceramic substitution is probably not available
might get the existing one re chromed
=================
What rotating piece?
As far as re-chroming, no. These things are ugly.

sorry i thought the inner piece rotated but thats not true...... many were built like that.

sorry i thought the inner piece rotated but thats not true...... many were built like that.
========== I know the kind you mean, but this one's just what you see. Might've had a plastic insert for soap at one time, but I never saw it. The only clue I have is that the front edge thing at the bottom seems to be a separate piece from the main body. I don't know why they'd do that unless it was supposed to be removable to reveal hardware behind it or something.

If you can get it out, you could have it powder-coated in almost any color you want.
Sorry, I don't know either how to get it out. I'll be down at our local "architectural salvage" store tomorrow, and I'll keep my eyes open. If I see one like it, I'll try to find out how they're mounted.
--
Regards,

Thank you.

without damage to the wall or tile will require careful work. I would probably try carefully cutting it into pieces with an abrasive cutoff wheel. Do not pry against the tile or it will likely break. It might be easiest to cut arount the front corners to free the front flat part first.
Don Young

I haven't had an obscenity-laden project in a while. I guess my luck just ran out.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

to hold it to the mounting thingy. I'd try sticking a 4x4 in it and give it a twist. No set screw under or behind the little flange on the front?

it could just have a bead of caulk as an adhesive behind either the edge lip, or against the back wall, depending upon the thickness of the wall itself.
yes, there are ceramic replacements.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

No set screw. I'm wondering if that separate front edge piece might pull out to reveal something. I'm going to dribble some hot vinegar on the seam to dissolve the mineral deposit, and see if I can pry it away from the main body. Stay tuned. This oughta be fun.

It looks similar to the toilet paper roll holder we had in our old house . . . as I recall it was spring loaded and you could just pull it out. I would try working a putty knife in behind it, all around to break the seal, then see if you can gently pry it out using the putty knife. -- H

Hmmm....OK. I have the stylish matching toilet paper holder, too, and another one of these stupid soap holders in the bath tub. I'll check for the spring-loaded idea.
Wait till you see the next step in jazzing up this bathroom. A true mystery, better than this chrome fixture issue.
Heathcliff wrote:

search. I thought with a similar tp holder that we had, the soap dish can't be that different. I didn't find any schematics or instructions, but ran across a message board post. Brand is probably Hallmack. A lady posted that she tried to pry out her soapdish, bent the corner but couldn't budge it :o)
Seems rather strange that a chrome dish would be anchored with mortar like tile. Must be some other fasterner...........