Removing aluminum windows (& frames) with minimal damage

Any tips or links to websites for effectively removing aluminum windows, frame and all, from a previously exterior wall?

Removing the window with ample force (e.g. sledge) would be easy. However doing it without destroying much of the surrounding wall is not so clear.

The aluminum frame is obviously connected with a flange which goes into the wall. Somehow this flange must be ripped out or cut from the rest of the frame.

I could envision a LOT of creative hacksaw work could do the job but that would require DAYS of work, since the frame would have to be cut thru every few inches.

No other saw I have could cut into the edge and any I can imagine which could cut through the aluminum would tear up the wall in the process.

I did a google search and thus far nothing came up. I imagine there are some techniques or tools used for this, because people replace old aluminum windows all the time, especially when damaged. How are the originals removed?

Reply to
StarMan

If we knew what the wall was made of, we could better help you. Brick? Concrete? Wood and siding?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How about renting a Sawzall?

Reply to
Ron

BTW, are you sure that they have flanges (brick fins)? All of the aluminium windows in my house screw into vertical studs on each side of the window.

Reply to
Ron

You can BUY one for $17 from Harbor Freight. It would last at least for one job...

HeyBub