Removing Adhesive From Hardwood Floors...

Howdy all. Can someone recommend a product (or method) for stripping carpet adhesive off hardwood floors. I would like to refinish our hardwood floors, but the carpet in a couple rooms was glued down. The floors from what I can see are in good shape and are original from

1926. Mineral spirits do work to a degree, but I'd like something more efficient.

Thanks, Felder

Reply to
Felder

Unless the adhesive amounts are truly large, I'd probably just go straight to the floor refinishing sander expecting to change discs a little more frequently.

--

Reply to
dpb

The big box home improvement stores sell adhesive remover in quarts and gallons. Really nasty stuff, but it does the job. You should ask your refinishing company whether they need you to get the glue off first, as they might just be able to sand it off, or recommend a product.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Don't sand the adhesive if it is black! (maybe other colors as well ) as it could contain asbestos.

I had the same problem, the previous owner glued down asphalt tile on top of the oak floor (moron) What worked for me was an adhesive remover (Sunnyside) with Methylene Chloride in it, absolutely nothing else worked. It comes in quarts about $11.00 a quart, I used, I think 7 quarts for a 12 X

12 room. I used a fairly stiff 4" paint scraper/spatula and a 1" for the tight spots.

Oh! make sure to ventilate with a fan or something ( I almost passed out twice, hands shaking the whole deal)

Clark

Reply to
Clark

My house is about the same age as yours (1929) and someone glued carpet down in the hallway. They ripped it up later, leaving a lot of the foam backing behind, and then recarpted over that. Yuck!

I scraped for days with every tool I could think of and got a lot of it up. When the professional floor finishers came, they sanded the rest of it off in seconds so I probably didn't really need to do all that scraping. It sound as if you're going to finish the floors yourself, so I don't know if the sanders that one can rent have the same power that the ones the pro's have.

Good luck! I love my old floors now that they're refinished. I'm always amazed that people kept these lovely old solid oak floors covered for years with ugly carpet.

Reply to
Lauri

Thermal insulation, depending where you live? Vacuuming being easier than polishing the floor? When earlier residents of our houses lived, they didn't have the opportunities that we have with washing machines, dryers and dish washers or so much ready prepared food!

Reply to
clot