Removing acoustic tile adhesive

I'm hoping to remove acoustic tile from a ceiling that was originally nice textured plaster (plaster-board). The ceiling was subsequently sheetrocked over, and I'd like to take all of the modifications down.
The issue is that the acoustic tile was glued directly to the plaster with some sort of adhesive. When the tile is torn down, it leaves globs of rock-hard brown adhesive which is terrifically resistant to scraping or chipping.
I have tried some of the more common solvents in hopes of softening this stuff, but no luck. Anybody have any idea what might help?
Any tips appreciated..!
Jim S Phoenix
Jim Smith writes:

Try heating with a hand held hair dryer, some mastic is heat sensitive.
That said I'm afraid you may be up the proverbial creek. Even if the installer didn't use a construction adhesive like Liquid Nails, which requires its own solvent, you'll probably damage the paper on the wall board taking it off.
Might I suggest leaving the mastic in place and respraying the entire ceiling with paint and texturizing compound?
Best,
Marc

<< Might I suggest leaving the mastic in place and respraying the entire ceiling with paint and texturizing compound? >>
Or maybe install an old fashioned stamped tin decorative ceiling?
Joe