Removing a wall switch?

My entire entertainment system is plugged into an outlet controlled by a single pole switch by our doorway.
Every so often, a vistor flips the switch, and powers my entertainment system off. I want to make that switch go away, so it can never be turned off by accident again.
Do I just "wire nut" the 2 wires together, and add a solid wall plate?
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:42:57 -0400, Bill wrote:

There is a screw on thingy that well keep the switch from being turned off.
OR - open up the receptacle and disconnect the switch wiring from circuit. Also removing the switch will also stop people from trying to use it and constantly asking what it operates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Switch-Guard-Switch-Lock-Wall-Light-Switch-FREE-Ship_W0QQitemZ230159398234QQcmdZViewItem

I'd replace it with a key-lock switch and a red cover plate, to really make people wonder.
aem sends...
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:42:39 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Or how about plugging that entertainment system into a non-switched outlet?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

A guard/preventer is a much better idea, IMO. A future resident may want the switch to control a lamp for the room. That's typically the intent of switch controlled outlets.
lee

Yes. The box needs to remain accessible. Normally, a wall switch will only switch one of the two dual outlets in the room for the purposes to control a lamp. This is often done when the room does not have an overhead light.

Yeah, that occurred to me too- has OP tried the OTHER hole in the outlet, to see if it is switched? Don't think I have ever seen an install where they were both switched- that is what those little break-away tabs on the side are for, after all.
Failing that, can it be powered from a different outlet in the room? A lot of entertainment center snobs like to run a dedicated outlet on its own breaker, fished up from basement, if that is not too painful.
aem sends...

You could just put a "cage" or duct tape over the switch.
Meat Plow wrote:

1/2 inch conduit strap

I think this is the closest thing to a helpful message I have ever seen you write. Have the doctors got your meds set at the correct level now?
Good luck
Terry wrote:

screw off net nazi, when someone asks a question that hasn't been asked a thousand times before I answer - shove off dipwad