Removing a sink - followup

And here's the rest of the story. It was a plumbing disaster worthy of your most hearty ribbing. Home Depot guy said you don't cap it, you put a shut off valve on it and leave the valve shut off. So I tried, without success, to install the shutoff valve on my now hacked off supply lines. Each time I turned the water on, it leaked like crazy. And then in what will not be noted as my finest hour as a plumber, I further tightened one of the lines only to have the valve fly off.
It's amazing how much water pressure there is in a residential area.
2.5 hours, $11. Failure. Squishy carpet for 15 square feet.
I called a plumber in. He told me that the valves I had been sold would not work attaching to a poly-B line - if I somehow managed to get them leak-free, there's no way he'd sleep well knowing they were there. Could come off at any time. He re-cut the line correctly, attached a brass poly-B-to-PAX connector, crimping both sides properly with these rings, using a very expensive crimping tool. Then he connected a proper valve to the PAX side, crimping again. Repeat on the other supply line.
20 minutes, $132. Success. Carpet still squishy; not his fault.
I feel like a putz. Take your shots - they are well deserved.
--
Lorne Sundby

Hey Lorne, don't feel bad. We have all been there at one time or another and many were more expensive situations than yours turned out to be. Cheer up and get on with life.
On 02 Sep 2003, Fred wrote:

My sentiments, exactly. Water is -so- unforgiving! <g>
--
TP

another
That's one of the laws of nature, water always wins.
Happy modeming, Bill
On 06 Sep 2003, berkshire bill wrote:

How does that figure into rock, paper, scissors??? ;^)
--
TP