Removing a single layer of paint

Here's an interesting one... I recently removed the molding from the last wall in my living room (with the plan of putting a thin layer of sheetrock over all the walls because the walls as they exist now are in bad shape, but I digress)... Once I removed this molding, I realized that there is a painting underneath! Looks like it's a nice nature scene. However, the previous owner must have decided they didn't like it and painted over it (but they didn't paint over the part where the molding was, hence I can see part of it). Here's my question... can anyone think of a way to remove the layer of paint over it without damaging the mural underneath? I'm guessing it was done with oil-based paints, and the layer over it seems to be regular paint like you'd use on any walls. Any thoughts? I'd really like to see the entire thing before I sheetrock over it because I just may decide to leave it if it looked as nice as I think it may, based on the little bit I can see (assuming it didn't get destroyed getting to it of course). Thanks all!
Hmmmmmmm, that is a weird one..... It seems to me there is some sort of latex paint remover, and it's only for latex. If the painting under it is oil paint, it might work. Call a paint store and ask. I mean a REAL paint store, not the corner hardware store or paint dept. at Walmart

Interesting... I'm going out later, and my travels will take me right past a real paint store as I recall, so I'll stop in and see. Thanks for the suggestion!
On Sat, 29 May 2004 01:34:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

None wrote:

Contact a local university or museum, and ask for a referral to an "art conservator".
This isn't something you can do yourself. If you think it's worth it, you may need to have the wall scanned (in infrared, I think) to see what the overall work looks like.
Getting the paint off will probably require the conservator knowing both what paint was used over, and what paint was used beneath.
That's a good thought. If I had any hint at all that it was a painting of any value I'd certainly do as you suggest, but I'm relatively sure it was just something the previous owner did, and even though it may be a good piece of painting, I doubt it's worth that kind of effort. Thanks for the info though, can't say I would have thought of that on my own!
On Sat, 29 May 2004 01:46:07 -0500, Dan Hartung