Removing a kitchen cabinet shelf

We just purchased a new home that has great Cherry cabinets. However, every one of the base cabinets has a half shelf that spans the whole width of the cabinet. I would like to take this out in a few of the cabinets but they are attached in some manner that I'm not familiar with. Doesn't appear to be any brackets.Can someone tell me the proper way, if there is one, as to how to remove this shelf? As you can tell I'm not a great handyman so your patience and understanding is appreciated. Thanks for the help.
The Wanderer wrote:

So what you're saying is that you've got "ffixed, non-adjustable shelving".
Is this a new house or just new to you? Old house or new track house? If new track...ask a neighbor if old it's probably nailed in.
If there is no gap between the shelf & the end piece (vertical member) of the cabinet AND the the shelf does not move (wiggle or twist) if you torque the front edge.....them perhaps it was nailed in place. Maybe from the "outside" of the cabinet before they were installed.
Hard to tell from here but your probably going to damage shelf when removing it.
Plus the part of the cabinet hidden by the shelf may not be stained / finished.
Ayway if you REALLY want to remove it......
I'd empty contents, get a 2x4 chunk the width of the shelf, place the 2x4 on the top of the shelf & have at it with a hammer, gently at first them with increasing force.
Before you do anything, let's see what the other newsgroup folks have to say.
cheers Bob
cheers Bob
The Wanderer wrote:

Forget it unless you want some sad looking cabinets.
Most likely the shelf was installed when the cabinet was built and was slipped into a groove in the cabinet sides, and perhaps even along the back as well. It would be difficult to remove without cutting the shelf, and even then you may end up with some cabinet damage.
Assuming you have a sink base cabinet you might check the inside of that. Sometimes they may use standard sides for all cabinets, but in the sink base leave the shelf out. You might see the grooves in the sides where the shelf would have been.
Another option would if you can determine the manufacturer, check their webpage to see if the discuss their construction.

The Wanderer wrote:

Sounds like your cab. does not have adjustable shelves. Ours can move up/down by moving pegs on the side walls.
The shelf might be part of the design on the cabinet to avoid racking of the case. I wouldn't try to remove it. I've built shallow drawers for cabinets in the kitchen and used undermount drawer slides and they were MUCH handier than shelf without pullout drawers for access.
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:27:33 GMT, The Wanderer

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:27:33 GMT, The Wanderer

First question is, why? Are you trying to store something that doesn't fit? Is there no-place else to put it?
Anyway, if I'm visualizing this right, you have half-depth shelves that are nailed in place, and are not movable. Are you tring to take the entire shelf out of individual cabinets, or only part of one? If you're talking about taking the whole shelf out, you could probably take a reciprocating (sabre)saw and cut most of the way back at each end and across, taking the bulk of the shelf out.
That should get you the space you want.
Then you need to decide whether you want to rip the rest of the shelf out, with pliers and chisel, and then snip off the now exposed nails or screws, and then try to fill the trench with wood strips, (Cut from the shelf?)
Or just take a router and round off the remaining ledge, which will look strange, but keeps the nails covered, and is less work.
The Wanderer wrote:

Typically shelves like this are installed in slots in the sides and may or may not be glued in place. To remove, you will have to demount the cabinet from the wall, remove the back panel and if you're lucky, the shelf can be slid out to the rear. A modified shelf or filler strips can then be installed in the slots. Installing, demounting cabinets can be a breeze if you have one of those screw jack pole devices to hold things while you fit them in place. Got mine at Amazon.com. Might be available at the Borg, too.Good luck.
Joe
replying to Joe, Kevin wrote: I just pushed, hard, on both outer sides with my shoulders and then lifted up with my head. Came out enough to get out of channel. Thanks stepped back and pushed high and then pushed low on right side to dislodge from backsides. It was installed with glue on sides and staples on back end. Shelf is intact, so are cabinets minus some rough areas on back side where stables came thru. Overall not so bad and can use shelf again later if needed.