Removing a floor joist, OK?

Hi,

My plumber tells me it's OK to take out any one floor joist, is this true?

The floor right now is 16" on center, span 8'6" joists 2"x8".

He's removing an iron bath and fitting a shower and the drain lands in a different place.

If I understand right he wants to cut out about 18" from the center of one joist and add doubled 2"x8" braces before and after to the neighbouring joists. I'd have expected to double up the 2 neighbours but he says this isn't needed. Possibly as it would be a pain in the ass to do as 2 water pipes pass thru both which I assume would have to be cut and re sweated.

Thanks

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

Assuming it's common pine, that's Barely adequate. Too light for my taste.

I'm not certain if I understand your description correctly, but the only way to get away with this is to create a "box" around the drain area that ties the cut joist back into the adjoining joists. In some cases, the joist to be cut should be supported while the process takes place.

Again, given that they're only 2x8's, I'd be tempted to add some strength as well.

Reply to
Mark

you could always use a couple of posts and run a beam perpindicular to the floor joists, right under the shower and to the wall side of the drain. it will support that short cut length of the floor joist and take some weight off the other side. or maybe just put a post under each cut end of the joist.

also, you can probably still go around it, even if it means using some scaps as spacers. like this as viewed from top or bottom:

new drain through cut joist xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx O xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx cut joist xxxxx xxxxxxxx 2x8 spacers xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx new suupport

i cant see exactly what you got, but maybe you dont necessarily need to cut the pipes, you could just notch the new support and slip it in around the pipes. sure its not as good as an uncut beam, but its better than nothing...

lastly, if im reading this right, you're installing a shower stall type deal where a tub used to be which is why the hole doesnt line up. they make floor pans just for this purpose with the drain off to the side in the standard tub location. you might look into this to avoid cutting the joist in the first place.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

And if you have trouble he is long gone, He sounds like a hack , like Daves Heating.

Reply to
m Ransley

On that small span I don't think doubling is necessary provided the headers are properly supported with joist hangers at each end of the 16" run and for the joist its self. It should look like # Well like a box.

Heck one picture 1000 words:

I have one in my house over a much larger span where the commode sits, inspected and approved 1995 construction. The only thing I would do different from the picture is to use joist hangers on all six ends. Here they are only used for the joist and not the headers.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this. The guy left a sketch and it does look just like Colby's picture so hopefully all will be OK.

Hope you're all having a great holiday w/e.

Nick..

Reply to
Nick