Remove Vinyl tile from Oak Floor

The idiot that owned my house before me covered the Oak flooring in the hall with glue down vinyl tiles. {A section 4'x12'.) Is it worth trying to remove the tiles and refinishing or should I just pull the entire floor and start over? Suggestions?
Dave
--
Today\'s mighty oak is just yesterday\'s nut that held its ground.

If it's real 3/4" oak, you might as well try. You can always pull it up later. If the glue binds up sandpaper, try dry-ice and a wide chisel.

I'm not sure I would try dry ice.
I would try, in this order -Scraper alone -scraper then a solvent for the adhesive -scraper then heat scrape for the remaining glue
One you get off what you can I would then sand and refinish.
Its a lot of elbow grease but may be worth it in the end. On the other hand, maybe they were trying to cover a problem. Good luck.

vinyl covering a bad part. I've already replace one section in front of the bathroom door. Solvent - Heat gun - In the house? I'm not so sure its worth that much trouble.
Thanks Dave
I am no expert on these matters, but one thing I always forget to calculate into my projects is the cost of my own labor, trips to stores (including $ for gas), headaches, long delays, etc.
A few years ago I rehabbed a 75 year old house, one bed room 12X14 had two layers of peel and stick 12" tiles covering beautiful 3/4" oak floor. Once I removed all the tiles I spent the next two days on my ass with a razor scraper and a bottle of simple green and lots of course steel wool. Was it worth it...you bet it was....after sanding and refinishing with stain and water based poly it looks like a million dollars. I did all the floors in the house and this was by far the hardest but it was well worth it. Good luck. Muff