remove top coat of paint

I recently acquired an old metal toy (tractor) that has been painted serveral times. How do I remove only the applied paint and save the original paint? Thanks for a reply----Herb

Reply to
herb white

Doubt you can. If the second coat is of different type you may have some luck but I doubt it. Lacquer over enamel may work using acetone. Chemical strippers will soften it all and sand blasting will tear it all away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

If the top is latex and the original is enamel, then he could use a latex paint remover. But that's the only case I can think of where it would be possible.

Reply to
trader_4

Take it to an art museum. They have experts who can remove coats of pain. Take thousands of dollars with you. They don't work cheap.

Reply to
Not