remove top coat of paint

I recently acquired an old metal toy (tractor) that has been painted serveral times. How do I remove only the applied paint and save the original paint? Thanks for a reply----Herb
On 8/17/2014 1:52 PM, herb white wrote:

some luck but I doubt it. Lacquer over enamel may work using acetone. Chemical strippers will soften it all and sand blasting will tear it all away.
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 2:57:06 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1
If the top is latex and the original is enamel, then he could use a latex paint remover. But that's the only case I can think of where it would be possible.
trader_4 wrote:

pain. Take thousands of dollars with you. They don't work cheap.