Remove toilet in basement

Page 2 of 2

\
Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?
a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire family:(
No not true, there fast and quit , the city of Seattle did a study on virtually every 1.6 gal toilets, Toto came in # 1 in all categories, you can find it on the web with a search .

Some of the older low water toilets used a power flush that could be heard miles away. New ones are the same noise level as the old five gallon models. There are a few good ones available from all the companies now.

The American Standard Cadets are pretty good. I know several people who have them. They are relatively inexpensive.

There are some low flow toilets that have a pressurized tank in them with a bladder or diaphram that stores the water utilizing the 40-50 pounds of pressure in the domestic water supply to give them a boost. Those are pretty noisy when they flush.

re: "I might want a toilet down there someday in the distant future when my kids are teenagers or something."
I don't know how many teenagers you plan on having, but for a while I had 4.
When we moved in we had a full bath on the 2nd floor and a very, very rough toilet & shower in the basement. Slab floor, crooked 2 x 2 open stud walls, etc. The wife wouldn't even use it.
I gutted it and put in a new toilet, shower stall and sink.
With 6 people, 2 bathrooms were barely enough. I sure wish we had room for a powder room on the 1st floor.

No. When you get the cap, installation will be obvious, but I will describe it here anyway:
The cap simply bolts on in place of the toilet. Two bolts.
Mash wrote:

Why don't you use it? It's there.

We have two bathrooms upstairs so I really don't need the 3rd toilet. I'd rather use the space for storage.
If it's not 1.6 galon per flush, the toilet may be valuable on the used market. Capping the line for the next owner to use later makes a lot of sense.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Low flow toilets work better than the old ones.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/video/default.aspx#Champion4_Flushing_Demo
Tony wrote:

Giggle
HeyBub wrote:

Mine works just like the video, except with a real load. I think it takes less than 2 seconds to completely flush.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I managed to find a friebie taker for one high flow toilet. He had a cabin with a well and didn't care. Two others I gave up and broke them up with a sledgehammer, and disposed of them in the garbage. Not a high demand item.

You can get rubber plugs in a variety of diameters at HD or Lowes. They have a bolt thru the middle and you tighten it to expand the plug until it is tight. All you need is a fairly smooth inside surface on the location where the plug will be installed as it can expand about 1/2 inch for a 3 or 4 inch diameter when tightened down all the way. You definitely need to leave the capability to reinstall a toilet in the future as it is a big selling point.

Can the rubber plugs be left in for years? Or will they corrode after some time? Thanks everyone for the input

There is one plugging the floor drain in our basement laundry room - not sure why the previous owners installed it but no trouble with it for the 15 years we've been in the house. -- H

A decent plug should last for many, many years.
Here's a tip to check the plug:
After you install the plug, lay some toilet paper on the floor with the ends just covering the seam between the plug and the flange. Then have someone flush one of the upstairs toilets. If the toilet paper doesn't move, then odds are you have no air leakage.
Mash wrote:

I'd go with a gasketed bolt-down lid, that is fitted to the flange just like a toilet is. If borg doesn't have them, a real plumbing supply will. Or just fabricate one from thick sheet metal, and install it over a fresh non-wax toilet ring tall enough to make a good seal. Yeah, inflated rubber will rot at some point, and you will get sewer smells (or worse, backups), in the basement. I've even seen it done with a layer of rubber gasket material from auto parts store, and bolted-down disc of plywood. Not like it has to stand a lot of pressure or anything.
-- aem sends...