Remove toilet in basement

Have you noticed any difference in the effort required to walk uphill compared to walking downhill?

You have much to learn.

Reply to
salty

Not true, I have a Toto toilet that will out perform any thing on the market. Maybe you never heard of Toto , do a little research on it.

Reply to
pacca

I OWN 3 Toto toilets. They work great - on the first and second floor. I tried one in my basement and it didn't perform as well as the old toilet being replaced, so I took it out and put the old one back.

Reply to
salty

Isnt Toto the toilet that sounds like a 747 at takeoff?

a friend has one, they rarely flush at nite, cause it wakes the entire family:(

Reply to
hallerb

I'd go with a gasketed bolt-down lid, that is fitted to the flange just like a toilet is. If borg doesn't have them, a real plumbing supply will. Or just fabricate one from thick sheet metal, and install it over a fresh non-wax toilet ring tall enough to make a good seal. Yeah, inflated rubber will rot at some point, and you will get sewer smells (or worse, backups), in the basement. I've even seen it done with a layer of rubber gasket material from auto parts store, and bolted-down disc of plywood. Not like it has to stand a lot of pressure or anything.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

>> Tony - I know all of that already. This toilet is IN THE BASEMENT,

OP never said what level his sewer outflow pipe was at. In modern subdivisions, they are usually partway up basement wall, but if this is an older urban house or a sloped lot or something, his sewer outflow could actually be low enough for a conventional toilet to work in the basement. All depends on how level of basement slab relates to sewer main level. My basement slab is actually slightly above street level, but no sewers out here.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Mine works just like the video, except with a real load. I think it takes less than 2 seconds to completely flush.

Reply to
Tony

>> Tony - I know all of that already. This toilet is IN THE BASEMENT,

OH! You must be talking about the flush up toilets! I missed where the OP said it was one of them. Lots of basement floors are above the septic line.

Can you teach me?

Reply to
Tony

So is that where your claim of not working in the basement comes from? One sample?

If the basement is plumbed properly, it should make no difference.

Reply to
Bob F

I managed to find a friebie taker for one high flow toilet. He had a cabin with a well and didn't care. Two others I gave up and broke them up with a sledgehammer, and disposed of them in the garbage. Not a high demand item.

Reply to
Bob F

>>> Tony - I know all of that already. This toilet is IN THE BASEMENT,

I know all this stuff. My pipe is in the basement floor and exits the house many feet below grade. Being that flow from the basement toilet is on that essentially horizontal run means that a low flow toilet often doesn't push the waste far enough in the pipe, and it can build up just outside the toilet, causing subsequent flushes to be less effective and prone to backing up. Upstairs, the waste leaves the toilet and has a significant drop which gets it well clear of the toilet, preventing buildup or backups. A low flow toilet model that works very well on my first floor, did not work well in my basement. The only difference being the 8 or 10 foot vertical drop from the first floor toilet down to the horizontal line in the basement floor.

In other words, I actually have low flow toilets in my house and they work fine when used in conjuction with gravity (upstairs) to keep the line near the toilet clear. I have actually installed the same model in my basement, where it is mounted directly to the line in the floor, and it didn't work well. I put the original toilet back and the new one is sitting uninstalled elsewhere in the basement.

I'm not guessing. I have first hand experience.

I'm not against low flow toilets. I have them on 2 floors of my house and they are completely trouble free. They just don't work as well in the basement. I like them enough that I went out and bought one to replace a perfectly good working OLD toilet in my basement. If it had worked, I would have been pleased. It didn't.

Reply to
salty

>>> Tony - I know all of that already. This toilet is IN THE BASEMENT,

No, I'm not talking about flushing uphill, Tony. Let's try this again. Do you notice any diffence in energy required to ride a bicycle on a flat road compared to riding a bicycle down a hill?

That's a good question. So far, you seem pretty slow to understand things.

Reply to
salty

One very clear example where 3 identical toilets sharing one waste line have different performance. The two toilets that work well are almost directly above the one in the basement. There is very little that is different except the one in the basement is mounted directly to the wasteline in the slab, and lacks any vertical drop like the one that the other two toilets take advantage of to work properly.

You are guessing. I am not guessing.

The basement is plumbed properly. Proof of that is that the original toilet WHICH I PUT BACK AFTER THE LOW FLOW DIDN"T WORK WELL, works perfectly and has never had a problem or backed up in the 20 years or so I've been here.

Reply to
salty

That depends on what gear I'm in uphill vs. downhill.

Ok, I got it! Your toto toilet doesn't work well in the basement due to differences in _your_ plumbing, so that means _all_ low flow toilets will not work well in basements.

Reply to
Tony

You just failed the test badly.

No, obviously you "don't got it".

Reply to
salty

Reply to
pacca

Some of the older low water toilets used a power flush that could be heard miles away. New ones are the same noise level as the old five gallon models. There are a few good ones available from all the companies now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are some low flow toilets that have a pressurized tank in them with a bladder or diaphram that stores the water utilizing the 40-50 pounds of pressure in the domestic water supply to give them a boost. Those are pretty noisy when they flush.

Reply to
salty

The American Standard Cadets are pretty good. I know several people who have them. They are relatively inexpensive.

Reply to
salty