Remove toilet

What is the best way to temporally cap off a toilet I need to replace the tile floor so I need to have the toilet removed for a few days

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe

  1. Turn off water
  2. Flush toilet. Bail out any water remaining
  3. Remove tank (if removeable)
  4. Remove decorative caps from 2- hold down bolts in base
  5. Remove nuts from hold down bolts.
  6. Lift toilet up
Reply to
dadiOH
& stuff the drain with rags. TB
Reply to
tbasc

Stuff the drain with rags or plastic bags (grocery store style seem to work for me).

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Most people use a rag. But don't forget to remove the rag when reinstalling! DAMHIKT...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

If it's going to be quite a few days, you can easily make a cap from a piece of thin plywood and screw it down to the bolts. Get new bolts, them later use them on the toilet. Discard the old ones. If you still smell sewer gas, put some plumbers putty under the plywood.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Yea, the guy installing mine used a rag. Whats the point? It does not stop the venting/stink from wafting into your bathroom. duct tape, or a properly sized pail over the hole may work as well.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Sealing the hole is a good idea in any case, as sewer gas is mostly Methane, which is highly flammable, to the point of being explosive. Any spark, from anything, and....

Reply to
Gort

For a few bucks you can by a cap at Lowes. It's essentially a metal plug with a heavy rubber ring around it that expands when you turn a thumb screw on the top.

Sam

Reply to
SamL