Remove Stucco

I need to remove all stucco from the exterior of my house to put on wood siding. I would like to cut the stucco just below the soffit line, so that I do not have to redo all of the soffits. What is the best tool for cutting along the soffits? I have a lot of cutting to do......

Do you have any tricks for removing the stucco? I was thinking of a flat shovel (like a roofing shovel).

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey

Assuming you are referring to the traditional cement-based stucco on metal lath, a diamond blade in a circular saw or angle grinder is the easiest. You'll have to take several passes. A diamond blade in a gas cutoff saw would be faster but is a lot heavier and harder to control. If you need to get a straight edge you can nail a wood straightedge on the lower section of stucco and run the circular saw fence along that.

You may want to investigate how far above the soffit the stucco extends. It may not be worth cutting. The cleanest and simplest way to terminate the wood siding is to have it extend up behind the lower edge of the soffit and use wood molding to cover any remaining gap.

Pounding on the stucco with a lump hammer will fracture the stucco and make it a lot easier to pry off the sections. Take all of the pictures and breakables off of the exterior walls before you start pounding away. A roofing shovel or pry bar work well for lifting the sections away from the wood. Try and pry along the framing as some sheathing is pretty easy to punch through when prying.

RicodJour

Why remove it, if it is real stucco it is basicly maintenance free, removing that concrete covering will be a major expense and mess. Or is it the plastic stuff that does not breath and grows mold.

Reply to
m Ransley

4 1/2" peanut grinder with a diamond blade. You could use a circular saw with a diamond blade. Those abrasive blades work but MUCH more work and dust. What I did was hold the grinder in one hand a shop vac hose to catch the dust. You will still need to pry it off the walls. I cut squares about 2' by 2'. You will get the hang of it. Face shield, dust mask and you will whish you never started, it aint fun.
Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thank you,

It is traditional stucco.

The stucco extends about an inch or two above the soffit line. The wire extends 2 or 3" above. I was thinking of terminating the wood with a shadow board below the soffit.

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey

What is a "peanut grinder"? Is this equivalent to an angle grinder?

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey