remove sealed chimney?

Hello.
We're redoing our bathroom, and taking up about 2 sq. ft. of it is a sealed off chimney. There's nothing coming out of our roof, there's nothing in the 'attic' section of the house above where it is. But, it's still there in the bathroom. It's very hard (from knocking on it) and i'm sure it's made of cinder blocks or something else.
Can anybody suggest whether or not it's worth it to remove it, or just leave it there? It's in the corner, somewhat out of the way, but I think it would open the bathroom up quite a bit if we removed it. On the other hand, it could be a really big pain-in-the-a$$ to start and then have to finish.
Thanks, H

More info please, is this an older house? If so how old? Some older homes used brick columns as support structure and or fire walls. It may have been an exterior chimney at one time. But I need more info on the house.
Halvey:
H > We're redoing our bathroom, and taking up about 2 sq. ft. of it is a H > sealed off chimney. There's nothing coming out of our roof, there's H > nothing in the 'attic' section of the house above where it is. But, H > it's still there in the bathroom. It's very hard (from knocking on H > it) and i'm sure it's made of cinder blocks or something else. H > H > Can anybody suggest whether or not it's worth it to remove it, or just H > leave it there? It's in the corner, somewhat out of the way, but I H > think it would open the bathroom up quite a bit if we removed it. On H > the other hand, it could be a really big pain-in-the-a$$ to start and H > then have to finish.
If you're redoing your bathroom now would be the time to get rid of that section of chimney. First I would be sure there is nothing using the "unused" chimney: no venting for the furnace or gas water heater. You indicated there was nothing in the attic so probably nothing inside the chimney. Just seems a little odd there is a solid chimney that goes no where.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* CLOSE PROJECT COORDINATION - We know who to blame.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971