Remove/replace garage door bottom roller?

When the door is up the tension should be released. My cables hang slack when the door is up

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi all.

I want to remove. for cleaning or replacing, the bottom roller on my garage door. There is no problem with removing the brackets on the other rollers, but on a torsion-spring door the bracket for the bottom roller is hooked to that cable with a grillion pounds of tension in it.

Does anybody know what the trick is?

TIA

Reply to
Dick Yuknavech

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:22:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hmmm. I'll have to meditate on that for a while. My cables are still under some tension in the full-up position. They're very short at that time, so it's difficult to guesstimate how heavy the tension is.

I just recalled - a while back I loosened the lock bolts on one of the pulleys to even out the door. I bet I can do that (on one side at a time!) to replace those rollers. I'll have to ponder that.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Dick Yuknavech

Sounds like you're talking about extension springs and he's got torsion springs. Fooling with the tension on torsion springs is considered dangerous by most people, and not a weekend handyman job.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Here's the difference

One's above the door opening, and the other runs along the sides of the open door.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Lift the door further than the regular open position. Jam a 2x4 under it to keep it up.

Reply to
anoldfart2