Remove Old Kitchen Cabinet Shelf without Destroying

Remove Old Kitchen Cabinet Shelf without Destroying open original image
Remove Old Kitchen Cabinet Shelf without Destroying open original image

Trying to remove old kitchen cabinet shelf with phillips head screw "locks" without destroying shelf and without removing entire cabinet assembly.

Shelf "locks" (pictured x2) are at top and bottom of cabinet enclosures.

Phillips head screw in lock unscrews 2 turns maximum and loosens shelf up in-place, but still unable to remove shelf???

[IMG]
Bob

Bob,

What holds the shelf to this "shelf lock"? Is there a screw under the shelf?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Dave, no screw under shelf. The "lock" is a Titus connector, which I learned online, which expands a pin or dowel in the shelf. I have all 4 loosened but am still at a loss for how to get shelf out without pulling out entire cabinet assembly?

Reply to
Bob

Looks like an "Ikea style" type of fastener. What you see just locks in a pin on the mating surface. Whole cabinet probably comes apart with that style of connector. Good luck.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Since that is the bottom of the cabinet, tapping it up or down should remove it. Problem is, the bottom and top are what are holding the cabinet together; if you remove the bottom, the rest of the cabinet may or may not stay together - and installed - depending upon how it was hung.

Reply to
dadiOH

Bob,

Titus was a big help. There's a good video here:

You aren't trying to remove a shelf, you are trying to remove the floor of the cabinet, yes? After you loosen the locking screws, tap the walls of the cabinet gently with a hammer to widen the bottom so that the locking pins clear the holes on the floor. I'm afraid this may be a major disassembly project. Are there connectors along the back, also? Seems to be an over-complicated gizmo to do a simple job. Good luck

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Bob,

Looked further at the Titus site and changed my mind. Here's what I think you do. Turn all of the floor locks anti-clockwise( yeah, less than one turn). That should release the pins in the floor. Gentle tapping and the floor should drop out of the cabinet.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel