remove completely (?) air vent on steam riser

Hi,
there is an air vent on the stream riser pipe in my apt. The vent usually goes bad and starts producing loud noises (like banging with a hammer). That I assume happens because the pressure on the stream riser pipe can be quite high at times.
I don't even know why the air vent was placed there on the first place. There is just a whole drilled in the pipe and in this whole the vent is screwed in. I presume they placed the vent so that the stream rises faster.
Can I remove completely the vent and just place/screw a bolt where the air vent was? I am hoping that would remove the loud banging problems. Any suggestions?
TIA michalis
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

LOL Yes, can do anything you like. (The landlord may just have an opposing view.)
The owner probably found out that steam distribution on start-up was a problem and the main vent was the fix. They are usually designed in and not simply "tapped" into a riser.
The vent will have a tapered pipe thread so you'll want to get a pipe plug with that thread. Small vents are 1/8" size, but it may be larger. And that's "trade" size, not the apparent size.
Good luck. You might want to read your lease first....
Jim
Hammering sounds are usually caused by a slug of water trapped in the pipes being slammed around by incoming steam. Try making sure all of your radiators and any piping you see has a pitch back towards the boiler. Shimming up the ends of the radiators and making sure the pipes don't sag where they have long lateral runs