Remove bathtub

I'm remodeling my small bathroom, and thinking about remove the bathtub and turn it into a shower instead. Do I need to put in a shower pan, or can I just lay tiles on the floor with some moisture barriers between the board and the tiles? Can anyone point me to a place where I can find more information on this subject?
TIA,
Dustin
I just got thru doing the same thing. I put a shower kit in works great and less work then tile.