Removal & Replacement of Tile Floor

Our entryway and hallways are 12" ceramic tile set in thinset which is over 1/2" cement board set in thinset and screwed into 3/4' ply subfloor. We would like to remove the existing tile and replace with different ceramic tile.
Do I have to remove all the way down to the sub or can I just remove the tile and thinset under it.
What is the best way to remove the material?
Thanks
kb
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:43:02 GMT, Keith Boeheim

Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you start removing the existing tile. If you are really lucky, the tile will pop out of the thinset whole. Then you can remove any loose thinset; chip off any raised areas, and lay the new tile in new thinset, after applying a bonding agent. The odds are pretty long on this, however.
More likely, you will end up busting up the existing cement board, and replacing from there. If you are really unlucky, removing the cement board will wreck the subfloor and you will have to replace or patch that.
I don't know of anything that makes this job easy. (aside from hiring someone :-) )
Good luck,
Paul