Removal of mold and mildew in ceiling after water leak

Hi. I had a leaky pipe repaired today in a downstairs bathroom. I found water leaking from the ceiling of the bathroom; there's a bathroom directly overhead of this one. A while back I'd noticed some bubbling paint on the ceiling of this bathroom, but it wasn't damp. Figured humidity from shower. So, it seems the pipe that sprung a larger leak today has had a smaller one going on for a while now. That was in evidence when the plumber cut out some of the drywall in the ceiling to get to the pipes and there was a lot of mold up there.

So now I have to have a ceiling remodel done, but how to remove the mold and mildew up in the floor joists before the ceiling is repaired? Any easy home-owner solutions?

Thanks, Katey

Reply to
Kate

Spray it with a 50/50 mix of bleach & water, let it dry thoroughly, then spray it with laquer paint to seal it.

Reply to
Bob

I remembered that the EPA recommended extremely easy mold removal instructions and found them:

Good luck,

tom @

LayPerson Tom

This is great info, Tom. Thank you, and thank you, too, Bob. I see I have a lot of work to do.

Kate