Removal of Carpet Question

Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is fairly clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and a lot of it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is this normal? Thanks.
Tom

Yes, it's normal. Dirt works it's way through the fibers of the carpet and then through the canvas (or whatever) backing. That's why it's such fine grit. The bigger pieces of dirt stay trapped in the carpet. That's been under 100% of the carpets I've removed, and it's a huge argument for not having carpet if you have allergies or breathing issues. Hardwood floors are so much easier to clean.
HTH,
Donna

Normal and scary, isn't it? All carpet is is a fine sieve. Just the fine stuff gets through. It makes you want to pull up all your carpet and vacuum under there, doesn't it?
Steve
Thanks for some very helpful replies. My wife does have breathing issues but most of all she has allergies and I thought when I pulled up the carpet (i had not pulled the pad yet) it would get better but they got worse. Now I see why. I will be pulling all the carpet out! Thanks again.
Tom

You have my honest sypathies, since I also am an allergy sufferer. A big selling point for me on this house was that they had uncovered the hardwood in the bedrooms, even though the DIY refinish they did was half-ass at best. Unfortunately, the hall and living room had new carpet, so I couldn't justify ripping it up to get a pro refinish on everything before I moved in. And the family room addition is cheap berber over OSB, so I'd have to add floor there.
If I ever hit the lotto and build my dream/retirement house, it'll be hardwood or tile throughout, with no carpets too big to throw in a commercial washing machine.
aem sends....
If this is the original carpet the builder may not have swept the floor before putting down the carpet.