Removal of both Iron and Tannin from Well Water

Hi,

Hoping someone out there has some additional ideas.

We are on a well. The whole area I live in is known to have bad water. In ours we have a tripple whammy of hard water, iron and tannin.

We right now have a 3 stage treatment process. First is an multimedia filter (green sand) to remove the iron, then a water softner and finally a tannin removal filter and after that a big blue cartridge filter and a UV filter.

However, lately they just are not keeping up on the tannin side. Our water is still a yellow/brown color and occasionally has an odor to it.

We have replaced the media in the iron filter and that helped a bit. Right now I am using a product called Res-Up to help remove the iron build up in the water softner and soda ash to help remove it from the tannin filter, but it really is not helping.

I understand water with both iron and tannin is doubley tough to process.

Are there other solutions I should be looking at? Is chlorination an option? Anything else?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Alan Alpha water systems INC. had this in their faq..Aside from their obvious advertising maybe there's info You can adapt to Your system..Maybe You can combine types of resin or use more than one softener in series..I would think Your softeners' Manufacturer could tell You what is safe.. Dean

"Will a softener remove iron/red stains?" In many cases it will! It depends upon the levels of Iron present. We manufacture Iron units for heavy Iron problems. Please contact us for correct Iron-Softener combinations for maximum life.973-293-7856

"Will a softener remove tannin?" It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with an ANION resin, it will remove tannin. Use Model FGA-60T.

"Will a softener remove nitrates?" It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with a special nitrate resin, it will remove nitrates. Use Model FGA-60N.

"Will a softener remove radium?" It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with a special radium resin, it will remove radium. Use Model FGA-120MJR.

Alan wrote:

Reply to
Dean

Hi, I know you posted this quite awhile ago, but if you're still having an issue I'll give you some advice. You've probably got at least a $4000 system running in your home and on top of that you have to buy salt continuously and it is still not doing the job. Tannin is from oak trees, your well is likely not deep enough. My system cost me $3900 plus tons of salt constantly. I had a new well drilled for $4300 going down much deeper and eliminated all of the tannin and

95% of my other problems. I still run my system, but even without it my water is pretty great. I rarely have to buy salt now and everything in my house that my water is running through is not getting eaten away and ruined. In 3 years with my system running full boar I went through 6 faucets, a hot water heater, a bladder tank, the pipe running down to my water pump, numerous bellows for my washing machine, and everything in my house had to be cleaned regularly with ash and they were still stained.
Reply to
Ooey