Remote sensing of water holding tank levels (measuring contraption)

Page 3 of 3

You don't need or want the holding tank to be pressurized. The weight of the water in the tank creates pressure and that is what you measure with one transducer. That pressure tells you the exact level of water in the tank.
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 18:16:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I like that idea.
It's simple, and linear.
Now to find the sensor ... I'll google.

Another simple possibility. If you don't mind running a wire from the tank to the house, you could probably use an off-the-shelf water pressure gauge for auto or marine. You get a transducer and a gauge that work off 12V. You'd need one that reads from 0 to about 25 psi and I think you could find one close to that. Then you'd have a gauge that shows the water level.
On 8/18/2011 5:03 PM, SF Man wrote:

You might be able to rig a mechanical indicator that shows over the edge of the tank.
If you only need one or two level indicators you could have lights (like a light bulb) at the tank visible from the house. Other level indicators include float switches and simple conductivity.
--
bud--

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:26:00 -0500, bud-- wrote:

I asked three neighbors this weekend, and, ALL of them have the same mechanism!
They all have a block of brightly painted wood that is at the outside bottom of one tank (all tanks are in parallel) when the water is full; and it slowly rises, a few inches every few hundred gallons, until it's at the top.
The one thing different is that they all said their wells pump continuously ... so ... I must have a local problem with water flow.

I 'guess' there could be a three-light system, green being full, yellow being half empty, red being lower than that (or something like that), but, actual levels would be more informative.

Use an alarm system like the use on septic pump tanks. I just put in a new one,very simple to do.
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:18:03 -0700 (PDT), JP wrote:

Do you know the brand you put in?