remote garage door openers

I think the contacts in my remote garage door opener are getting oxidized. What is the best way to clean it? I've tried to scrape it but it's hard to do because it's small and in a tight area. Would naval jelly work or what else? thanks

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

pencil eraser? brown bag paper?

Reply to
Han

I don't think so. Applying and rinsing might prove difficult, too.

The only thing I do to contacts of any kind these days is a shot of DeOxit. [used to be Radio Shack D5]

$15 for a small can that saves you several hundred dollars worth of time and aggravation-- and probably a few hundred dolars in parts that can be cleaned instead of replaced.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I've had a contact burnishing tool for years ... don't even know where I got it, however, Googling "relay contact burnish tool" will find many. Here's an example:

is a thin piece of metal with very small embedded abrasive particles. IIRC, mine said it had diamond dust, but who knows. I've used it and it seem to work well.

Reply to
Art Todesco

My company uses a product called Stabilant 22.for contact oxidation. It seems to work well for this purpose.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

Hi, I use deoxit, burnishing tool or liquid gold depending on the job.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's for the battery contacts inside the remote.

Reply to
Doug

Forget chemicals. A piece of fine wet or dry sandpaper will work...slide between contacts, pull out...turn paper over and repeat on other contact.

Reply to
dadiOH

In that case, no need to turn the wet or dry paper over :)

You might want to bend the contacts out a touch too. Wouldn't hurt to clean the ends of the batteries either; I used to use the bottom of my shoe for those when I wore leather soled shoes.

Reply to
dadiOH

Have you ever dealt with the small contacts inside the remote garage door opener? There isn't much room to work with unless you mean to remove them of which I don't know if that's possible. I had been trying to scrape them with a skinny nail file a little but it's such a small area to work in.

Reply to
Doug

Sounds good to me, I'll give it a try. Thank u

Reply to
Doug

Spray contact cleaner?

Available at Radio Shack